There’s a certain charm and rustic beauty to cob houses that make them stand out from the traditional brick and mortar homes. Cob houses are made with a mix of sand, clay and straw, and they have been used as dwellings since ancient times. If you’re looking for a creative, eco-friendly and affordable way to build a home, cob building is a great option. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a cob house, step by step. So get ready to start your cob house building journey and create your very own comfortable and affordable home.
How to Make a Cob House?
- Choose a suitable location for your cob house. Consider access to utilities, water, and drainage.
- Gather the necessary materials, such as straw, sand, clay, and water.
- Dig a trench for the foundation, making sure it is level and stable.
- Mix the sand, straw, and clay together in a wheelbarrow, adding water until it has a thick, cookie dough-like consistency.
- Form the cob mixture into large balls and place them onto the foundation.
- Pack the cob mixture into walls and shape into the desired form.
- Allow the cob wall to dry for several days before continuing construction.
- Construct a roof for the cob house and fill in the walls with additional cob.
- Cover the walls with a lime or clay plaster to protect them from the weather.
What Is A Cob House?
Cob houses are structures made from a mixture of clay, sand, straw and water. This mixture is then fashioned into cob blocks that are used to build walls, floors, and roofs. Cob houses are known for their low-impact construction and sustainable design. These homes are very energy efficient and can be customized to fit the needs of the homeowner.
Steps To Building A Cob House
- Choose a Building Site: Before you start building your cob house, you will need to select a building site. Be sure to consider the climate, soil conditions, and the availability of building materials when choosing your building site.
- Excavate the Building Site: Once you have chosen the building site, you will need to excavate the area. This will involve digging out the foundation and preparing the ground for the cob blocks.
- Create the Cob Blocks: The cob blocks are made of a mixture of clay, sand, straw, and water. You will need to mix these ingredients in the right proportions to create the cob blocks. You can use a tarp, buckets, and shovels to mix the ingredients.
- Build the Walls: Once you have made the cob blocks, you can begin building the walls. Start at the bottom and work your way up, stacking the cob blocks on top of one another. Be sure to stagger the cob blocks and use a trowel to shape the blocks into the desired shape.
- Install the Roof: The roof of your cob house will need to be waterproofed to protect the structure from the elements. You can use a variety of materials such as tar paper, shingles, and metal roofing to waterproof the roof.
- Finish the Interior: Once the exterior of your cob house is complete, you can begin to finish the interior. You can use a variety of materials such as wood, plaster, and tile to finish the interior of your cob house.
Building a cob house is a sustainable and eco-friendly way to build a home. With some patience and hard work, you can create a beautiful and unique home that will last you a lifetime.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Materials Are Needed to Make a Cob House?
To build a cob house, you will need cob (a mix of sand, clay, and straw), a variety of tools, including a trowel, mixing bucket, and various other tools, a formwork (a structure to hold up the cob while it is being shaped), and a damp-proof membrane or other waterproofing material. You will also need an additional material for a roof, such as straw or wood.
Where Should a Cob House Be Built?
Cob houses can be built on any level, firm surface, such as a concrete slab or on a raised foundation. Ideally, the site should have access to water and electricity, and should be well-drained with no standing water. The ground should also be level, with no large rocks or tree roots.
How Long Does It Take to Build a Cob House?
The amount of time it takes to build a cob house depends on the size of the house and the experience of the builder. Generally, it takes around two to three months to build a small cob house, and up to a year for a larger structure.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Cob House?
The cost of building a cob house varies depending on the size of the house and the materials used. Generally, building a cob house can cost between $10 and $30 per square foot. This cost can be reduced by using recycled materials and salvaged items.
What Are the Benefits of Building a Cob House?
Building a cob house has many benefits. Cob is a natural, breathable material that is highly energy-efficient and durable. It is also a renewable and sustainable building material. Additionally, cob houses are relatively easy and inexpensive to build.
What Are the Drawbacks of Building a Cob House?
The main drawback of building a cob house is that cob is a very heavy material and requires a strong foundation. Additionally, cob does not do well in areas with frequent flooding or wet conditions. Additionally, cob is not fireproof and can be vulnerable to fire damage.
Having a cob house is an exciting and rewarding experience. With a bit of patience and an understanding of the basics, it is possible to build a strong, unique home that is also environmentally friendly. With its natural insulation and thermal mass, cob houses can help you to reduce your energy consumption and keep your home cool in summer and warm in winter. By following the steps outlined above and using the right materials, it is possible to build a cob house that will last for years to come.